POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Allowable Renderers : Re: Allowable Renderers Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allowable Renderers
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 25 Jul 2000 00:52:15
Message: <397d1cff$1@news.povray.org>
The "D" wrote in message <397d0678$1@news.povray.org>...
>Is terragen considered a raytracer for purposes of the competition or would
>I need to use something like forrester or wilber to convert it into a
povray
>format?

As it says in the IRTC rules
( http://www.irtc.org/stills/rules.html#tools ):
3.Acceptable Tools

     This describes what software and hardware you may use.

        b.Any rendering program is acceptable. The competition welcomes the
use of cheap or free software rather than packages only available to a few
professionals. There is nothing wrong with using such software.

Likewise, in the Stills FAQ, ( http://www.irtc.org/stills/faq.html#q1.1.7 ):
[1.1.7] Can I use a renderer besides POV-Ray? Isn't this a POV-Ray
competition?
     You can use any computer rendering program. The competition is hosted
by POV-Ray, but they do not make any demands on us or the participants.
[1.1.9] Can I use a scan-line renderer instead of a ray tracer? How about
one that uses some other rendering
technique?
     Yes, all algorithms are welcome. The quality should be equivalent to
modern ray tracers, though, or your image will compare badly with the other
entries. Note--we do not consider photocopying or paint programs to be
"renderers". The image should be generated by a computer, algorithmically.

So yes, you can use Terragen for rendering your images.

Mark